From recycling clothes every day to holding charity sales, we love to join up with our customers for a good cause.
Did you know the fashion industry is the second biggest polluter in the world?
– Aproximately 20% of all industrial water pollution comes from treating and dying textiles.
– The clothing industry is the second biggest polluter of clean water.
– One cotton t-shirt takes 700 gallons of water to produce and 2,000 gallons of water to make 1 pair of jeans.
– 95% of discarded clothing can be recycled or upcycled, giving that item new life.
Each time you buy a recycled clothing item at Uptown, that’s one less shirt that you might buy new, meaning you’re reducing the demand for the production of new clothes. This not only saves precious resources every year, but it continues to support getting the latest trends in fashion in ways that are safe, sustainable, and ethical. If a clothing item is used for an additional nine months, we reduce that item’s carbon, water, and waste impact by 20-30 percent. At Uptown we are committed to helping keep you fashionable while making the planet a better place.
When you buy and sell to Uptown, you are maximizing the value of these previously loved items by giving them a second life. By recycling your clothes, you can feel good about helping the environment, keeping your dollars local, and donating to charity. In 2020 Uptown:
– Kept 5.2 million items from landfills by recycling
– Donated millions of clothing items to approximately 50 charities nationwide
– Provided masks to underserved U.S. communities
– Paid out $19 million to local communities
Follow us and join the fashion conversation