Meet an Uptown Cheapskate Buyer – Chrissy Pointer, Arlington, TX
Uptown Cheapskate | February 24, 2015
My name is Chrissy and I am privileged to be the store manager and buyer at Uptown Cheapskate in Arlington, TX! I have always been an avid resale shopper so being a buyer at Uptown is a dream job! You never know what is going to walk through the door—who knew you could find treasures in a bag or bin? I enjoy watching for new trends and LOVE when we see them come in our store. As I buy clothes that come into our store I like to keep in mind the latest fashion trends and the most up to date celebrity outfits. Many times a customer will bring in a picture of a celebrity in a certain outfit that they just must have and this is when I get to work with them to create a lookalike outfit they love.
My personal fashion icon would have to be Sophia Bush, hands down! She is classy and emits self-confidence. You can always count on effortless style from Sophia Bush. It’s never too much or too little. It could take a team days picking out her perfect look for an event and, just like always, Sophia always seems to wear it with total confidence and comfort. One way Sophia stays current is through basic splashes of color here and there without ever wearing overwhelming color. She’ll wear a basic tee with jeans, but then have on the most adorable orange flats that every girl must have. This is one way that I find myself recreating her style. While a simple outfit is perfect for a shopping or a day full of errands, always make sure you have on a bright color that reminds everyone you are still fashion forward and current. No girl ever wants her outfit labeled as “plain,” so always remember that a little color never hurt anyone!
While Sophia has worked from a very young age as a regular on the television show One Tree Hill, she has never conformed to Hollywood’s idea of a “perfect” body. While still young, Sophia stood up against a large company that she believed was selling young women the idea that their bodies weren’t good enough by producing a shirt with the label “eat less” in bold. Girls are constantly being told that there bodies are not good enough and that they must live up to these impossible standards set by models and the fashion industry, and Sophia would not stand for it. Instead Sophia started her own campaign called “Zero is not a size.” With this campaign she reinforced the idea that every women’s body type is different and there is not one ideal size for every girl. Because of her, many young girls were able to define themselves based on more than the size jean they wore. Sophia reinstated that every girl should find her own style and that the same style doesn’t look great on everyone. However, everyone has a style that looks great on them. I can’t think of any celeb I would rather take style advice from, and as I help women as they come into our stores, I know this statement to be very true. Shopping is all about finding the outfit that makes you feel good!
As I mentioned, many women come into my store asking if I can help them recreate an outfit that they saw a celeb wear. To illustrate how easy it is to affordably dress like the stars, I mimicked my favorite celeb with these outfits! I found all these great pieces that match her style at our Uptown store.
In this picture Sophia went for a hipster outfit for a night out on the town. This would be a perfect outfit for a night out with friends at a local bar or outdoor party! She dresses down her lacey black dress by putting on a forest green jacket and brown closed toed shoes. I was able to match this outfit by wearing a black dress with a green jacket and black booties. All of these items were found at Uptown!
I love Sophia’s outfit in this last picture! She went with a red blazer that makes her really pop as she walks into a room. The color red really draws attention and makes a great outfit for a first date or a concert! She pairs it with high-waisted black shorts. With the final touch of black pumps she has made the perfect outfit! As every girl knows, a pair of black pumps is essential to your wardrobe. They are perfect for almost any outfit and match so many things that they are a must have, especially a pair that is comfortable but adorable!
Uptown Cheapskate Arlington, TX
Probably the most boring sounding type of fashion imaginable, but we’re here to change that. Don’t let your office go-to fall into a pit of never ending black slacks and flats. It’s time to mix it up.
Try for a bold dress, and match it with a pair of sleek nude heels. Give the dress a pop of contrast with either a solid color belt or a statement necklace.
A skirt/shirt combo is always a great option for the office. It’s comfy, yet classy, and can be worn in so many different ways. Don’t be afraid to mix prints and textures. Match a shorter skirt with longer sleeves to keep it office-appropriate, and a little embellishments are an easy way to glam up an otherwise ordinary top.
For guys, we love the dark shirt on dark slim suit look with a coordinating skinny tie. Get a pair of statement shoes, and try colored laces for some variety.
Just because it’s casual, doesn’t mean it’s boring. Pair your comfiest jeans with cute flats and a chambray shirt. Accessorize with a bold necklace, and don’t forget — a blazer will turn almost any outfit into a professional win. Be sure to check Uptown Cheapskate first for those more spendy items, as they’ll save you a ton!
Our Ugly Sweater Instagram Contest is over and winners have been announced! Thanks to everyone that participated. We liked them so much, we’re giving away 5 gift cards instead of 3.
$50 gift card winner for most likes:
Congratulations to @elizabethgrace16
If you are a winner, Uptown Cheapskate commented on your image!
Claim your prize by emailing email@example.com or calling (801) 359-0071 ext. 117.
View all submissions on the web! See full contest rules here.
Meet an Uptown Cheapskate Buyer: Serena Yang – Sugar House, UT
Jenny | October 29, 2014
Working at Uptown Cheapskate is such an awesome experience for me. It has opened my eyes to the various fashions people are wearing and given me the chance to build upon my own individual style.
One of the things I love most about being a buyer at Uptown is being able to see the unique pieces of clothes that come in the door. I’m able to get ideas as to what fashions people are currently interested in and what is on the verge of going out-of-style, or simply: what’s popular and what’s not. I get to build upon this knowledge and help out my customers by giving them advice as to what I think is best for them.
Here are some of the styles I’m wearing for Fall!
What I love about Fall is the weather starts to cool down, but it’s not too cold for a skirt – and I still want to be able to wear skirts! So I decided to wear my sweater ( since it’s getting chilly), with dark high-knee socks to keep my legs warm, my black heeled ankle boots, a cute beanie, and a nice necklace for the finishing touch. This outfit doesn’t have the fall colors, but it does fit the weather and it’s perfect for that person with an edgy style.
This outfit has more of the 60’s look, which I love. I am obsessed with this collared shirt, it’s got tiny flowers in warm colors which is perfect for Fall. I am also obsessed with newspaper boy hats. Newspaper boy hats are coming into style, as you may have noticed. You’ll see a lot of guys wearing them, but who says girls can’t pull off wearing a cute newspaper boy hat too?
Fall is perfect for trench jackets. They are great to wear for a stroll outside, and they’re comfy. Remember how I told you that I am currently obsessed with newspaper boy hats? Well one came into Uptown, and I just had to get it I also found this pair of Forever 21 shoes. I wanted them to stand out so I wore them with this outfit.
Enter to win a gift card!
Snap a photo on Instagram of
your ugly sweater and use #UptownUglySweater to enter.
The three photos with the most likes will each win a $50 gift card.
You must enter by 3pm MST January 5, 2015
and your profile must be public.
Rules and Terms:
- Contest ends January 5, 2015 at 3pm MST.
- This Promotion is in no way sponsored or administered by Instagram. You are providing your information to Uptown Cheapskate and not to Instagram.
- Photo must be an original photo.
- Participants must be located in the United States and at least 18 years of age (or legal majority in your state) to participate and submit a photo in this promotion.
- Prizes left unclaimed for 30 days will be returned to company. Prizes can be given as a gift.
- Uptown Cheapskate will determine giveaway recipients in its sole and absolute discretion and reserves the right to modify and change promotion without notice.
- As a participant in the promotion you will be required to privately (through direct message, email, or other secure, private means) provide your name, address, age and other personal information necessary to receive the prize, if you are selected as a prize recipient.
- Each winner of a prize in a Promotion is solely responsible for any and all applicable federal, state and local taxes (including income and withholding taxes on any prize), regardless of whether the prize, in whole or in part, is used.
- By participating in the Promotion, you agree to (i) be bound by the Official Instagram Giveaway Rules, including all entry requirements provided at the time the Promotion is announced and/or promoted, and (ii) waive any and all claims against Uptown Cheapskate and its respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliates for any injury, damage or loss of any kind that may occur, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Promotion.
- Each winning Participant, by acceptance of prize, grants to Uptown Cheapskate and each of its respective designees the right to publicize his/her name, address (city and state of residence), photograph provided in connection with the Promotion, voice, statements and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, promotional and/or trade and/or any other purpose (“Winner Information”) in any media or format now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world, in perpetuity, without limitation and without further compensation, consideration, permission or notification, unless prohibited by law. The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims.
- Participants may not take actions that are negligent, injurious or reckless in pursuit of any prize offered in connection with a Promotion. Participants who do not follow this rule or who otherwise participate in a Promotion in an unsportsmanlike manner will be disqualified from the Promotion. Participants are solely responsible for any injuries or other damages that are caused from their behavior. Participants agree to indemnify, release, discharge and hold harmless the Released Parties (defined below) from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages or injuries of any kind with respect thereto.