Meet an Uptown Cheapskate Buyer: Serena Yang – Sugar House, UT
Jenny | October 29, 2014
Working at Uptown Cheapskate is such an awesome experience for me. It has opened my eyes to the various fashions people are wearing and given me the chance to build upon my own individual style.
One of the things I love most about being a buyer at Uptown is being able to see the unique pieces of clothes that come in the door. I’m able to get ideas as to what fashions people are currently interested in and what is on the verge of going out-of-style, or simply: what’s popular and what’s not. I get to build upon this knowledge and help out my customers by giving them advice as to what I think is best for them.
Here are some of the styles I’m wearing for Fall!
What I love about Fall is the weather starts to cool down, but it’s not too cold for a skirt – and I still want to be able to wear skirts! So I decided to wear my sweater ( since it’s getting chilly), with dark high-knee socks to keep my legs warm, my black heeled ankle boots, a cute beanie, and a nice necklace for the finishing touch. This outfit doesn’t have the fall colors, but it does fit the weather and it’s perfect for that person with an edgy style.
This outfit has more of the 60’s look, which I love. I am obsessed with this collared shirt, it’s got tiny flowers in warm colors which is perfect for Fall. I am also obsessed with newspaper boy hats. Newspaper boy hats are coming into style, as you may have noticed. You’ll see a lot of guys wearing them, but who says girls can’t pull off wearing a cute newspaper boy hat too?
Fall is perfect for trench jackets. They are great to wear for a stroll outside, and they’re comfy. Remember how I told you that I am currently obsessed with newspaper boy hats? Well one came into Uptown, and I just had to get it I also found this pair of Forever 21 shoes. I wanted them to stand out so I wore them with this outfit.
Enter to win a gift card!
Snap a photo on Instagram of
your ugly sweater and use #UptownUglySweater to enter.
The three photos with the most likes will each win a $50 gift card.
You must enter by 3pm MST January 5, 2015
and your profile must be public.
Rules and Terms:
- Contest ends January 5, 2015 at 3pm MST.
- This Promotion is in no way sponsored or administered by Instagram. You are providing your information to Uptown Cheapskate and not to Instagram.
- Photo must be an original photo.
- Participants must be located in the United States and at least 18 years of age (or legal majority in your state) to participate and submit a photo in this promotion.
- Prizes left unclaimed for 30 days will be returned to company. Prizes can be given as a gift.
- Uptown Cheapskate will determine giveaway recipients in its sole and absolute discretion and reserves the right to modify and change promotion without notice.
- As a participant in the promotion you will be required to privately (through direct message, email, or other secure, private means) provide your name, address, age and other personal information necessary to receive the prize, if you are selected as a prize recipient.
- Each winner of a prize in a Promotion is solely responsible for any and all applicable federal, state and local taxes (including income and withholding taxes on any prize), regardless of whether the prize, in whole or in part, is used.
- By participating in the Promotion, you agree to (i) be bound by the Official Instagram Giveaway Rules, including all entry requirements provided at the time the Promotion is announced and/or promoted, and (ii) waive any and all claims against Uptown Cheapskate and its respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliates for any injury, damage or loss of any kind that may occur, directly or indirectly, from participation in the Promotion.
- Each winning Participant, by acceptance of prize, grants to Uptown Cheapskate and each of its respective designees the right to publicize his/her name, address (city and state of residence), photograph provided in connection with the Promotion, voice, statements and/or other likeness and prize information for advertising, promotional and/or trade and/or any other purpose (“Winner Information”) in any media or format now known or hereafter devised, throughout the world, in perpetuity, without limitation and without further compensation, consideration, permission or notification, unless prohibited by law. The releases hereunder are intended to apply to all claims not known or suspected to exist with the intent of waiving the effect of laws requiring the intent to release future unknown claims.
- Participants may not take actions that are negligent, injurious or reckless in pursuit of any prize offered in connection with a Promotion. Participants who do not follow this rule or who otherwise participate in a Promotion in an unsportsmanlike manner will be disqualified from the Promotion. Participants are solely responsible for any injuries or other damages that are caused from their behavior. Participants agree to indemnify, release, discharge and hold harmless the Released Parties (defined below) from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages or injuries of any kind with respect thereto.
Back to School Instagram Contest Winners Announced
Uptown Cheapskate | September 16, 2014
Our Back to School Instagram Contest is over and winners have been announced! Thanks to everyone that participated. We have some fiercely fashionable friends.
$100 gift card Grand Prize Winner for most likes:
Congratulations to @nataliagonchav
$50 Gift Card Winners:
If you are a winner, Uptown Cheapskate commented on your image!
Claim your prize by emailing email@example.com or calling (801) 359-0071 ext. 117.
View all submissions on the web! See full contest rules here.
Meet an Uptown Cheapskate Buyer: Kacey Anderson – Lake Forest, CA
Uptown Cheapskate | August 19, 2014
Being a buyer at Uptown Cheapskate gives me the opportunity to see all the style trends people are targeting this season. I love being able to look first hand at what’s selling and what cuts/fabrics are most on trend right now. My favorite part of working at Uptown is selecting outfits for customers! No matter what they’re into there’s always something I can find for them at the store. My co-workers and I try our best to be more than your average thrift store. We love when people are checking out and don’t even realize we’re a resale store! Working at a clothing store has turned me into a major shopaholic, which is why I love Uptown’s hugely discounted prices! I am never able to pinpoint what type of “style” I have. I try to incorporate all fashion trends into my daily looks. Some staple trends I’ve been wearing lately are the classic combo of black and white, crop tops paired with cut off denim or skater skirts, plaid skirts and flannels, fringe, and I’m still trying to throw in leather somewhere every now and then. I find all these styles at Uptown and other thrift stores in the area. There are always treasures that can be found with thrift shopping!
Here is one trend that will be sure to bring the spotlight. For a bold look, try a metallic statement piece like a gold dress or matte metallic blazer. Wear it with fewer accessories, and more muted colors to keep from going overboard. Metallics pair well with neutral colors like greys, pinks, creams, blacks and whites. They’re also a great way to quickly jazz up a lackluster outfit, or transition a daytime look to a night-life number. Try a gold belt with a solid dress, or shiny silver shoes with cropped jeans and blazer over a neutral v-neck tee. Grab a metallic clutch and statement silver bracelet and you’ll have just the bling you’ll need. Check out our Pinterest board for even more metallic ideas!
And remember, confidence is the most important accessory.